With the rise of the API economy where APIs play an essential role in business success new challenges arise. In its API Security and Management report, Gartner predicted that by 2023, API abuse will move from infrequent to the most frequent attack vector, resulting in data breaches for enterprise web applications, and by 2025, more than 50% of data theft will be due to unsecure APIs.
Curity’s Identity experts have put together the top 12 recommendations on the API Security Checklist.
- API gateway in place: put your API behind a safe gateway
- Central OAuth server to issue tokens
- JSON Web Tokens
- Scopes for coarse-grained access control
- Claims for fine-grained access control
- Zero Trust: it is not just a buzzword
- Libraries with JWT Validation
- JSON Web Key Sets for Key Distribution
- Different authentication methods
- Continuous check for potential abuse
- Overall Protection
- Audit 4ever
By following these best practice measures, you can safeguard your APIs and thwart unwanted Behaviors. Download the whitepaper for more details on how to best follow the above recommendations.